FAQs Got a question?

Signup to our community and receive your FREE careers advice guide sample!


I want to be a performer in the movies, where do I start?

Firstly, it's important for you to decide what type of performer you wish to be.

There are a few options to chose from and they all have different entries into the industry: 

Stunt Performer

Stunt performers are employed by a Production to perform stunts that are considered to be dangerous or arduous. These can be stunts can include: high falls, fire work, vehicle stunts to name a few. There are hundreds of different stunt categories and hundreds of different stunts. 

Should you wish to become a stunt performer in the UK, it is standard practice to train for and join the British JISC Stunt Register. Training for the register can be long and arduous and can take many years, so you need to be confident that this is the right career choice for you before you embark on the training. 

In order to apply, you must be over the age of 18, trained in a minimum of 6 sporting disciplines, set by the JISC Stunt Register and have completed a minimum of 60 days work as a performer/supporting artist on professional screen productions.

The best place to start would be to purchase our Careers Advice Guide! 

This is the only pack of it's kind written by experienced JISC Registered Stunt Professionals, it offers first hand advice and guidance about how to become a British Stunt Performer that you won't find anywhere else!

Our B.L.A.S.T stunt course is designed for those seriously thinking about a career as a stunt performer. Designed for both experienced stunt performers and trainee's, B.L.A.S.T puts you through a series of realistic on set style stunt scenarios and will test the limits of your physical and mental ability.


Should you wish to become an actor, you will need some form of formal acting training and to register with an agent. The more skills to your bow as an actor, the more in demand you may become and in this competitive industry. If you wish to be a screen actor, you should train in screen combat, which will make you a more versatile performer. 

Skilled Supporting Artist 

Another type of performer a Skilled Supporting Artist or Special Action Extra. At the BAA we use the Skilled Supporting Artist terminology or (SSA) for short.

The role of an SSA is to perform mainly screen combat on productions that require larger performance groups. For example: period/modern battles or large group hooligan scenes. You could be fighting alongside stunt performers and lead actors, depending on how experienced and trained you are.

Training in acting and screen combat are recommended in order to be as proficient as possible.  

The Warrior Masterclass is the only screen combat course recognised by the UK film and TV industry and is an essential course for action performers of all levels and experience. 

Can your courses prepare me for being a performer on screen? 

Absolutely. Our courses are designed to do just that, to introduce you to the world of screen action first hand. Our courses have been designed by some of the UK’s leading JISC registered stunt co-ordinators and performers and are essential training for those looking to become stunt performers, actors or skilled supporting artists.

You will meet lot's of like minded people throughout the courses and also be taught by some of the most experienced stunt co-ordinators and performers in the industry. Due to the phenomenal success of our industry recognised Warrior Masterclass screen combat course, those with the Warrior qualifications are in high demand from Productions within the industry. The course is designed for those with or without screen action experience and is one of the most important skills to have, should you wish to become proficient in screen combat. 

The Warrior Masterclass is currently being put forward to the JISC Stunt Committee as a potential new skill under the Fighting Category. We shall update this status when possible.

B.L.A.S.T is the UK's only industry health and safety approved stunt training course. Instructed by UK leading JISC stunt performers and co-ordinators, it represents the highest standard of dedicated stunt training available in the industry. Designed for both experienced stunt performers and trainee's, B.L.A.S.T puts you through a series of realistic on set style stunt scenarios and will test the limits of your physical and mental ability. 

Do I have to join the JISC Stunt Register to be a stunt performer in the UK?

If you want to be a professional, industry recognised stunt performer in the UK you should join the British JISC Stunt Register, however, on a legal standpoint, there is no law to say you must be a JISC Registered Stunt Performer to perform stunts in the UK.

It is important to note, however, that the British JISC Stunt Register is the only recognised professional body for stunt performers/co-ordinators in the United Kingdom.


Signup to get your hands on news, offers and discounts! 

Want to find out more about our awesome action experiences? Click HERE!